My name is Kevin M. Castaneda and i own Product at BoomTV Inc. My role at BoomTV has evolved over the course of the 3 years i have been here. I am very hands on with our technical documents: providing wireframes to designers & developers; designing parts of our UI; QA testing all products to provide quick feedback loops with development; and constantly finding smart solutions for the needs of the company within our very fast pace start up environment.
I started off pursuing my passion for game design and 3D in 2013 as a student. I was fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on an Oculus DK2 at the time, which helped me explore a developing industry ahead of time before several other artists. Since then I have launched products on many platforms: Web, WebGL, Google Cardboard, Oculus Rift, Gear VR, HTC Vive, and PSVR. Bringing products from concept to launch. I have earned lead roles on every project I have taken on due to my high adaptability.
I hope to continue in this path of leading teams and taking on more and bigger projects as my career expands. My goal is to continue down this path of shaping the VR industry through visuals, unique mediums/experiences, finding ways to make VR more interactive / approachable, and storytelling!
Cisco Systems, Inc. engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of Internet Protocol based networking products and services related to the communications and information technology industry.
I was brought onto take ownership of the VR and AR visualization and demonstration of their technology during a harsh deadline. The project was initially being built in Unreal Engine 4, but because i am more proficient in Unity, i scrapped the project and started over in Unity.
My responsibilities at Cisco Systems is to piece together visualization diagrams of their technology, and demonstrate this within a virtual environment. I am responsible for all aspects of the tech demo application including 3d modeling, texture creation, lighting, and simple VR interactions. I also model assets on an as needed basis, which will be implemented in the tech demo application, or be used in video demonstrations during meetings / talks.
The application i am building will be used during Cisco Live.
• Ownership of product decisions within VR
• Turn existing hardware into 3D models on an as needed basis
• Implementation of VR functionality using Oculus SDK, interactions with the touch controller (built for Oculus Quest)
• Piece together framework prefabs in Unity for future additions to the application like video playback with narrative based on specific scenes, Scene specific UI for navigation, Level loading, and triggers for animations.
• Ownership of the repository, and manage all assets / branches.
• 3D model assets needed to complete environments in each scene
• Composition and lighting
• Visual direction within the VR application based on engineering teams diagram sketches
Continuing the Esports direction that BoomTV was known for in the VR space. Using our core tech for real time full 360 CSGO and League of Legends spectating, we dived head first into building a platform using all the components from our Hypernet Arena project. In Hypernet Arena, you were able to create a massive tournament system from just a push of a button. Your viewers were able to participate in a fast past tournament for cash. We handled all the scoring, and live spectating experience.
We have now created a brand well known as Code Red. Code Red is a tournament series we created to show how we could help create an Esports experience for any brand, using our platform. Our platform is the first and only fully self driven platform for Esports. We automate the process of tournament brackets with real time score tracking technology. We have opened the door for influencers to run their own tournaments by allowing any number of participants compete in events, all while our platform does all the heavy lifting of the score tracking (no score keepers needed!).
• Drive product to build platforms for streamers, and gamers for console and PC
• Manage jira tickets for product
• managing art related branches in source tree
• Leading QA tests, and reviewing deliverables for developers
• basic agile / scrum experience with product team & developers
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start up environment.
• Very hands on, works on UI / UX flows with fleshed out designs for developers
• relay requirements from brainstorm to finished specs / requirement documents for developers and designers and artists
• Work closely with big influencers like Ninja, DrDisrespect, Summit1G, Shroud, and many more
• first hand experience creating environments for Esports teams, and professional gamers alike
• experience creating UI / UX for streaming tools, and streamer widgets for developers to implement
• Experienced in creation of product requirements, user flows, and documentation for projects
• Manage collaboration and communication with other team, including outsourced companies, developers, and contracted artists.
• Have created specification documents for big tournament events that involved juggernaut companies like Activision, Epic Games, and Blue Hole
• able to deliver specification documents based on high level details provided
Check it out at the following links
Apex Legends Tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yAwPnmy7Y
Fortnite Tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu9LhvFADf4&t=4s
Call of Duty Tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSThWz9_w9w
Originally i was brought on to do 3D Environment Artist for Boom.tv's Social VR streaming application.
We slowly transitioned away from VR, and entered game development for WebGL. We built a arcade shooter for big tournament style experiences. From this came Hypernet Arena.
Some of my responsibilities include (For VR Experiences & Hypernet Arena):
• Art direction
• Re-creating art styles based off of other games / experiences
• Concepting new environments for players to explore
• Pitching gameplay mechanics to the team, and creating requirements for developers to implement
• Creating particle systems / VFX for real time
• Creating cutscenes for use in our live streams
• Implementing art pipelines to better suit all of our supporting platforms
• Optimization for Mobile VR, Desktop VR, and WebGL
• Managing 2D animations which are used by top name streamers like Dr.Disrespect!
• Lead in UI / UX team and follow up with developers on implementation
What is Boom.tv?
Boom is the first 3D live-streaming platform for watching eSports on any device. Streamers use the platform to provide instant replays and multiple viewing angles for viewers on their PCs and mobile devices. For viewers with VR headsets, Boom simulates actually being in the game.
Hundreds of millions of viewers watch eSports, but they are all held captive to the camera angle of the player. We believe the experience should be far more exciting, social, and interactive than even traditional sports broadcasts. Our mission is to put 3D technology in the hands of millions of gamers and revolutionize the way eSports content is produced and consumed.
This position includes modeling, texturing, and optimize low poly assets for mobile devices on Google Cardboard / Gear VR. My workflow includes PBR materials (physically based rendering) & texture atlasing.
Looking Glass VR is a mobile application for Google Cardboard which brings historic stereographic 3D photos from yesteryear into focus.
Short term contract for an indie Playstation VR game. I designed the entire environment art, everything is optimized for console and VR use. I arranged models for gameplay, worked on all the lighting, and texturing. This title is on Playstation Store & Steam Store.
Step into an online Game Show! Trivia has never been so much fun. Featuring thousands questions, on a variety of genres/topics. Experience Trivia like never before. Play with or without VR.
The gameplay of this game has also been viewed by 2 million people on Youtube!
Contract work remotely as part of their design, development, and production team. This includes creating custom textures, as well as creating 3D assets ready for use in Unreal Engine 4 with the Oculus Rift.
Virtual Xperience creates VR content for real estate, with a focus on residential, commercial and new development markets. Pre-sell or pre-lease your new developments with VR visualizations of the unbuilt environment. Clients include home builders, multi family developers, real estate agents and brokers, interior designers, architects, owners, and more.